The original school opened in 1910 although the current buildings date back from about 1970.
Canvas schools were operating in the district from 1904.
A very successful 100th Owhango School and District Reunion was held on 6 – 8 February 2004.
A low key hundred years’ celebration took place in May 2010.
Several decades back the school roll was well over 100 but has been much less in recent times after the local mill burnt down in the late 1970s.
For the last ten years the roll has ranged from 30 – 64.